The future of wind power at sea

Compartilhe este artigo

When it comes to the energy sector, Brazil has sound reasons to celebrate, since we are one of the countries which uses renewable resources the most.

Due to this asset, dealing with the energy mix renewal is not as distant and unachievable a topic as it is for other nations—more dependent on energy sources that are considered non-renewable.

Given the potential that some segments have in the national territory, such as solar and wind power, the future seems to be even cleaner. A proof of that is that today we will delve a little more into the future of wind power at sea and all that it can represent for our planet, and especially Brazil.

Offshore wind power and the generation of clean energy

Source: Unsplash

Obtained through the installation of wind turbines on the high seas, offshore wind energy is a product of constant speed winds formed in these areas.

These turbines are more advantageous if compared to energy generated onshore; for instance: it is a fact that they count with significantly higher potencies, which provides much lower maintenance costs per MW.

Today, wind power is considered one of the main alternatives for clean energy generation and the quest for a revival in the global energy mix.

“Energy mix” is the name given to the set of energy sources available in a country, state, or even on the planet, to supply the whole energy demand. And, in the global scenario, most energy mixes are composed of non-renewable sources, totalling almost 88% of them. The other 12% represents renewable energy, originating from sources such as solar and wind power itself.

A booming market

The exploration of offshore wind power is relatively new. Last year it was the 30th year since the first generator of this kind began operating in Denmark.

Since then, growth in this sector has been relatively slow. But this reality has changed a lot in recent years.

In the previous decade, industry has gathered pace, boosted especially by China and the countries that are part of the OECD (Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development).

As for 2021, the offshore wind power sector has decided to speed up, and broke some records, such as the implementation of over 21 GW of additional generation capacity all over the world.

The future of wind power in Brazil

Source: Envato

Even though these aforementioned numbers do not involve Brazil and Latin America, where there aren’t any high seas installations to generate wind power yet, there is reason for optimism in our country.

The first step to reverse this scenario was taken by the Brazilian government, with the publication of Decree no. 10.946, which addresses the assignment of physical areas and the exploitation of natural resources at sea for the generation of wind power by offshore enterprises.

In force since June 2022, the legal text was a great advance for Brazil to begin making its way to the implementation of offshore wind farms safely, since there are already around 80 GW of projects under review at IBAMA (Brazilian Institute of Environment and Renewable Natural Resources).

And these numbers can be even bigger. According to the Ministry of Environment, Joaquim Leite, the country has at sea the potential of 50 Itaipus (Brazil’s main hydroelectric power plant). In sum: Itaipu, which is one of the biggest in the world, has an installed capacity of 14 GW. Leite’s estimation is that the production of wind power at sea will reach 700 GW.

But how long will it take for us to see progress in practice? For Mario Ruiz-Tagle, the president of Neoenergia, the first offshore wind power installation may appear in up to five years.

Proper Marine understands how important this matter is, especially since we deal with something that concerns society and human life as a whole, just as sustainability does.

Given that, our solution involving offshore platforms aims to encourage, in a professional and dedicated manner, the exploration of these and other alternatives that deal directly with the renovation of the current energy mixes.
Visit our website and get in touch with our professionals to learn more about our services and how we can help you with solutions in project engineering, and with naval and offshore consultancy.

Veja mais